Chris Pavesic joins us today with a soup my family and I have been making since she posted the recipe on her blog. I have added vegetarian sausage to it for extra protein, or substituted the brown rice for chickpea-based orzo for the same reason. Vegetable broth is always used in place of chicken because my daughter is a vegetarian. No matter what I do with this recipe it comes out amazing.
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb. fresh button mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- salt and pepper to taste
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Large saucepan
- Flat saucepan
1. In a large saucepan, combine onion, rice and stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in flat saucepan. Gently cook mushrooms about 10 minutes or until brown and most of moisture has evaporated. Add mushrooms to stock. Stir in sherry and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
While you eat your meal, why not enjoy a good book?
Thank you for reading,